爱筝

朝闻道,夕死可矣!

From 《The Music of Man》 (10)

But it is not wise for us to ascribe everything about the discovery of harmony, overtone, and scales to man alone. Not long ago I had an extraordinary experience on the island of Mykonos, in the Aegean Sea south of mainland Greece. Outside the harbor of Mykonos, there is a tiny island, uninhabited except for many, many bees. There is one small sloping beach, and at the topmost point of the isle, a little stone chapel for the rare visitor. The terrain is rather rugged, with a steep cliff rising sharply where the beach ends. One day in April when I was walking on the flowering cliff top, listening to the buzzing of the bees on their honey-making rounds, I distinctly heard one sound, which I will call the fundamental, and another sound exactly a fifth above. When I came closer, it seemed to my eye and ear that a larger bee was producing the lower sound and a small bee the upper one. It struck me as quite extraordinary that such an adjustment of sounds should be achieved by two bees. Then they were joined by another, making a sound that fell exactly in between the other two, which was in fact a third above the fundamental, establishing a full major chord. I was so surprised I had to go back in the afternoon to make sure; and there is was still, that same sound.

0 comments: